Monday, August 8, 2011

Knitting, Politics, Budgets

There's been a lot on my mind lately. Most of it having to do with my personal budget. It seems like the cost of everything is going up however, our pay isn't. Add to this a person who has been paying less of his rent because things are tight for him and I'm getting stressed.

The cure for stress is knitting. I promised a baby blanket (or two) for twins back in March. I completed a nice nine patch blanket done in rows of three squares last week. It was supposed to be delivered to the new parents this week. My messenger has car troubles, a snug budget and is not traveling east on his vacation as planned. Instead, he's sitting around waiting for the car to be repaired.

Exhibit One:
Baby Blanket
Photobucket

I did get a package into the mail today. It contains the Tudor shawl, some toys and books for a friend who is going through a rough patch. I now know why I could not find an auction to put this shawl in over the spring months.

Now to the Political part of my program. There was a big recall of Turkey this week. At first I got very excited. I thought the members of our National Legislature had all been sent home.

I'm appalled at how they have twiddled, diddled and done next to nothing about our debt. If I ran my household like they are our country, I'd be in prison for financial fraud, or worse.

After thinking things over, I came up with some short term programs to help ease the country's financial woes. None of this is a cure, but it can't hurt to implement a few basic bits of common sense.

Pay cuts: when a private company has financial trouble, employees get pay cuts. Personally, I'd like to see those folks take a big pay cut. I'm of the firm opinion members of the House and Senate need to make 5 figures, just like members of our military.

Pensions: those little necessities often disappear during a financial crisis. The Legislature members can lose their pensions just like many folks have lost their IRA's, 401's and so called Social Security.

Retinues: Package them up as staff, or whatever you want to call them. There are too many people earning money for following their representative around. Let them get a real job in the real world, or let the states pay those people, but take them out of the national budget.

Cars, Planes, etc: no more five star hotels, minimize the amount of travel you all do, and drive economy vehicles. Show us you really do understand how the rest of the nation is doing.

Earmarks: I saw a reaction from an 'honorable' member of congress where he said "our peculiar institution" You know what, there was another 'peculiar institution' and it cost our nation money and lives. Drop Them. Stop adding expenses to bills/laws. No more back room deals where in "I'll vote for your healthcare if you add in this pet project" Half the time those pet projects have nothing whatsoever to do with the legislation being passed and only benefit the bozo who's pushing for it. We Cannot Afford IT. Quit Spending Money You Don't Have.

And last but not least, let's hear it for term limits. Honestly, there are people serving on Capital Hill who've been there for 30+ years. Do they still have a clue as to what will be in the best interests of the country? I doubt it. Recall them. As voters, we need to look at what our congress persons and senators are doing. We need to stop voting straight party tickets.
Until there are TERM LIMITS on the seats in both the House and Senate, we the voters need to enforce term limits.

NO INCUMBENTS IN 2012

No comments: